Quick Steps Overview: Easy Chicken Caprese Recipe
- Set up the cooking station
- Prep the oven
- Add chicken
- Prepare the sauce
- Add cherry tomatoes
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Add cheese
- Garnish and serve with favorite sides
- What Is Chicken Caprese?
- Easy Chicken Caprese Recipe
- Nutritional Facts
- What To Serve With Chicken Caprese?
- Tips To Cook Chicken Caprese To Perfection
- How To Store Chicken Caprese?
- Alternate Recipe: Chicken Caprese With Leftover Chicken
- Dalstrong Tool You Will Need To Cook Chicken Caprese
- Frequently Asked Questions
When work and life take over your week, making time to cook a meal can seem like a challenge. That is when one-pan recipes come into the picture. They make cooking seem easy, cook quickly and require very little effort. Today, I’m going to share with you an easy Chicken Caprese recipe that not only sounds divine but also tastes heavenly.
This chicken recipe combines Caprese salad ingredients with chicken breasts for a quick-to-make dinner that is perfect for weeknights. If you are someone that actively looks for recipes online, you must have already come across chicken Caprese recipes, but for those who are new to the kitchen and want to cook something delicious, let’s begin by telling you what this dish is all about.
1. What is Chicken Caprese?
There’s something so fancy about the word “Caprese”, isn’t there? But as fancy as it may sound, it is really simple to make. Caprese dressing combines some basic ingredients you will easily find in your kitchen. Commonly made with fresh tomato and basil, some mozzarella, and a drizzle of balsamic, this superstar dressing pairs well with almost anything.
Caprese chicken is an Italian-inspired chicken dish made with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, herbs, olive oil, and vinegar. It is a quick and easy Italian dish that can be cooked in many different ways. However, my preferred way to cook this is by baking it. It is very important to keep our dinner menu. This delicious and easy recipe is sure to become a new family favorite.
Chef's Knife 8" Firestorm Alpha Series | Dalstrong
2. Easy Chicken Caprese Recipe
Easy Chicken Caprese Recipe
|1. Set up the cooking station
|2. Prep the oven
|3. Add chicken
|4. Prepare the sauce
|5. Add cherry tomatoes
|6. Bake for 25 minutes
|7. Add cheese
|8. Garnish and serve with favorite sides
3. Nutritional Facts
- Calories: 317kcal
- Protein: 32g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 95 mg
- Potassium: 771 mg
- Sugar: 15g
- Vitamin C: 23 mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fat: 13g
- Sodium: 468 mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Calcium: 176 mg
- Vitamin A: 1174IU
*IU stands for International Unit and is a measure that is used in pharmacy and for the use of measurement of vitamins.
4. What To Serve With Chicken Caprese?
If you are looking for a way to add a little more oomph to this Chicken Caprese dish, here are a couple of ways to make the meal more interesting in your own way:
- Add this dish to some fresh pasta. This will envelope Italian culture beautifully, but will also give you a filling and satisfying dish.
- Serve Caprese Chicken with some sides you like to make it a whole meal. Salad with some light dressing and potatoes tossed in herbs and butter pair very well with this dish.
- Toast some fresh bread and place the Caprese Chicken on top of it. An open-faced sandwich is one of my favorite ways to enjoy Caprese Chicken leftovers.
- If you have fresh basil at home, you can also make some basil pesto and add that to the Chicken Caprese.
- You can also serve this dish with your favorite grain like rice or orzo (rice-shaped pasta).
- To add some color to your meal, serve the Caprese Chicken with a cool and fresh cucumber salad or a three-bean Mediterranean salad.
- Garlic bread is also a classic side to serve with this dish. You can also add a layer of cheese to this if you’re a fan of cheesy dishes.
- Make this dish super healthy by serving it with a side of baked artichokes or asparagus.
- Love potatoes? Serve this dish with a side of mashed potatoes, fries, or wedges.
5. Tips To Cook Chicken Caprese To Perfection
If you are new to cooking or are making this dish for the first time, it is very important to get the basics of cooking chicken right. Here are a few tips on how you can make sure that your Caprese Chicken is cooked to perfection.
- One of the most popular complaints when cooking chicken is that the end result turned out to be dry. To avoid this, cook the chicken at a higher temperature. This recipe calls for an oven temperature of 400 degrees. It is important to stick to this temperature as it will allow your chicken to sweat and create natural juices for that juicy, baked Caprese chicken.
- If you want the chicken to retain its juices, you need to let the meat rest after you take it out of the oven. Don’t cut into the chicken for about 10 minutes after cooking. Resting allows the chicken to soak in all the juices and not dry out.
- To avoid a case of undercooked chicken, keep an internal thermometer around. You can use this to make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through. The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- You can also make your own balsamic glaze for this dish. You start by adding 2 cups of balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then simmer on low heat till it thickens and is reduced by half. This should take about 20 minutes. Let it cool, it will thicken some more.
- While this recipe uses boneless, skinless chicken breasts, you can also substitute them with bone-in chicken thighs if you prefer your chicken wing style.
- You can also combine some mayo with pesto and add that to the Chicken Caprese. This will give your dish a slightly creamy texture.
- Change up the bread. You can swap your regular bread slices for ciabatta, sourdough bread, or rosemary focaccia bread.
- The secret to a great-tasting Chicken Caprese dish is using the freshest and best quality ingredients. You can source these from your local grocery store.
- Use chicken breasts of even size and pound to an even thickness so they cook at the same rate.
- Finish the chicken with a dusting of flaky sea salt. This will bring out the sweetness in the tomatoes.
6. How To Store Chicken Caprese?
To be honest, this dish is so good that I doubt you will have anything leftover. However, if you do, here are some ways that you can store the chicken until next time.
- Refrigerate: You can store your leftover Chicken Caprese in an airtight glass container with a lid or a ziplock bag. Once packed properly, you can store it in your fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: Once the chicken has completely cooled, take off the fresh cheese and tomatoes as they don’t freeze well with the chicken. Place the chicken in a ziplock bag and seal it tight. The chicken can stay frozen in the freezer for up to 3 months. I recommend you write the date on your bag so you know how long it's good for.
- Reheat: To reheat the chicken, let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Once thawed, you can then place it in a casserole dish and add fresh mozzarella cheese, tomato, and basil. Bake this at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
7. Alternate Recipe: Chicken Caprese With Leftover Chicken
Got some leftover chicken from your previous meal? Here’s how you can turn that into a delicious and easy weeknights Chicken Caprese sandwich:
- Preheat the oven and season the tomatoes. Set the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice tomatoes into ½ inch slices, lay them out on a large plate or bowl.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper all over this. Then drizzle some lemon juice, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Lay slices of bread on a baking sheet and spread with mayo.
- Top this with slices of tomato, sliced chicken, a few fresh basil leaves, and 2-3 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the open sandwiches. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. You can also broil it for 1-2 minutes to crisp the cheese.
- Garnish with a few more basil leaves, drizzle it with balsamic glaze and sea salt, and serve.
8. Dalstrong Tool You Will Need To Cook Chicken Caprese
Let’s take a look at some of the Dalstrong tools that you can use to cook up this dish with maximum efficiency and minimum effort.
1. 10” Frying Pan and Skillet- Oberon Series | Dalstrong
This 3-ply aluminum-core cookware is designed to help you create magic in the kitchen. This high-performing, medium-weight, and ultra-functional piece of cookware is built to last a lifetime. Cook your Caprese Chicken evenly and quickly with this versatile pan.
- The pan boasts impeccable conductivity to quickly heat up and evenly cook anything you place inside it, then be it thick slices of protein like chicken or delicate omelets.
- The pan comes with a see-through glass lid that allows you to keep a check on the food cooking inside the pan.
- The brush-finished induction bottom of this pan makes it compatible with smooth top electric ranges, induction cooktops, and gas stoves.
- The pan comes with 1 handle which can make it a little difficult to lift the pan when it is very heavy.
- The all-steel handle might not be everyone’s preferred choice as it tends to heat up while cooking.
- If you are cooking for a big family you can take a look at some of the bigger cookware pieces.
This high-carbon stainless steel knife performs at the top of its class, taking your knife game to the next level. The 10” blade of this knife is perfect to slice delicate and tough vegetables, mince garlic and slice through raw or cooked meat. Basically, whatever your kitchen task, this knife can handle it like a pro.
- The handle of this knife adds a rugged style and stability to that you can maneuver with this blade confidently.
- The black non-reflective titanium-nitride coating adds corrosion resistance, toughens the blade, and enhances its non-stick properties.
- The blade cleans easily and is low maintenance.
- The 10” blade can seem too intimidating for someone using a professional chef’s knife for the first time. In that case, you can take a look at the other kitchen knives that are available.
- The knife comes with a heavy price tag that might not make this everyone’s first choice.
- The design of this knife might be too bold for chefs with a minimalistic sense of style.
- The apron comes with a fully adjustable genuine-leather cross back harness that is built for practicality and evenly distributes the weight across your shoulder to prevent neck strain, allowing you to work for longer hours.
- The apron features 2 chest pockets for easy storage, 2 generously sized outer pockets in the front, a kangaroo pocket, and towel and tong loops.
- This apron is waterproof, dirt-resistant, comfortable, and built to outlast anything and anyone in the heat of the kitchen.
- If you are someone who doesn’t cook that often, this apron might seem a little too pricey. In that case, you can take a look at the other aprons that Dalstrong carries.
- Professional chefs might require an apron with more storage space, made of a sturdier material to be able to stand the heat of professional kitchens.
4. Teak Cutting Board- Medium Size | Dalstrong
Enhance your kitchen craft with the perfectly sized cutting board to assist with everyday chopping and cutting tasks. This board is hard enough to offer precision for clean cuts and has enough “give” to maintain your knife’s sharpness after use.
- This board is ideally sized for your average day-to-day chopping tasks. This makes it easier to store compared to its bulkier counterparts.
- The sustainably sourced wood of this board is known for its impressive moisture resistance and durability. It also looks better over time.
- The board comes with lasered measurement lines on the bottom to help you make precise cuts and section meat.
- This board does not have side handles which can make it a little hard to lift for some.
- If you have a compact kitchen, storing this board might get difficult.
5. Food Tongs 9”- Scalloped Silicone Tips | Dalstrong
These tongs will act as an extension of your hands when you have to perform messy tasks like placing juicy tomato slices on your Chicken Caprese or flipping chicken breasts to make sure they are cooking all the way.
- These tongs are super easy to use and are built to help you handle hot food like a complete pro.
- The silicon-coated tips of the tongs protect your pans and pots from any accidental damage or scratch.
- It is very easy to close these tongs for storage and reopen them to use. This is thanks to the quick-lock mechanism that is built into the tongs.
- If you plan on working on a grill or in a situation where there is too much contact with direct flame, you might want to go for a longer set of tongs to protect your hands. You can take a look at the other tongs here.
- If you BBQ often, you might want to invest in an entire grill kit instead of buying individual items. Not only will you have a set of tools that match but you will also end up saving money.
9. Frequently Asked Questions
What is Caprese Chicken made of?
Caprese chicken is an Italian-inspired chicken dish made with tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella, herbs, olive oil, and vinegar. It’s an easy dish that can be cooked in a variety of ways but the simplest way is to bake it.
What do you serve with Caprese?
You can get very creative with the sides you serve with your Chicken Caprese. Some sides that pair well with this are avocado toast, fried zucchini, mashed or roasted potatoes, fried rice, grilled cheese sandwich, and chips and salsa.
What does alla caprese mean?
Conchiglie Alla Caprese is an Italian name that means pasta shells with tomato, basil, and mozzarella.
Who invented Caprese salad?
The salad has its roots in Italy and was birthed during the 1920s. A chef at Hotel Quisisana post-WW1 wanted to pay tribute to everything that was Italian, including its country’s colors and invented the Caprese Salad.